I took the classic BLT and gave it a makeover. I was inspired by a recipe I found at epicurious. I made my own green garlic aioli (more on that later). Instead of bacon and lettuce, I opted for pancetta and the awesome waido and arugula I had gotten in my CSA box this week from HighCross Farm.
Pancetta comes from the belly of the pig and is usually cured rather than smoked like it’s cousin bacon. I find pancetta to be less salty than supermarket bacon.
The pancetta coupled with the arugual/waido, topped off the the green garlic aioli is out of this world. After you make this sandwich you will never go back to the old-school BLT.
Green Garlic Aioli:
- 1/4 c chopped green garlic (white and green parts0
- 1 large egg
- 1 teasponn dijon mustard
- 1 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- S & P to taste
- 1 loaf of brioche or Italian bread (today I used Italian bread), toasted
- 1 beefsteak tomato cut into 1/4 ince rounds
- pancetta (place on cookie sheet and bake at 450 until crispy. It does not take long, keep an eye on it)
- waido and arugula leaves, washed and dried.
In a blender or food processor mix the egg, green garlic and mustard until it’s pretty much the same consistancy (It won’t be silky smooth, you will have nice little chunks of green garlic..mmm).
Slooooowly drizzle in the oil and let mix for about 3 minutes. You will notice it getting quite thick. Add the lemon juice and mix until it is all blended well.
It should look something like this:
This picture doesn’t do it justice. It comes out a beautiful pale green color.
Put into a serving container and salt and pepper to your taste. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. It is so good.
- Spread some aioli on one side of each piece of toasted bread
- Add the waido and arugula
- Add the tomato
- Add the pancetta
- Top with the other slice of breat
Grab a cold one and enjoy!