Nothing beats farm fresh strawberries..nothing. HighCross Farm delivered some of the sweetest berries, I can honestly say, I have ever had.
I decided to forgo the usual strawberry shortcake and mix it up a little bit. I had some puff pastry cups in the freezer and a basic pastry creme recipe from my grandmother. Puff pastry, pastry creme, strawberries…sounds like a winning combination to me.
The results were nothing less than stellar. If you are looking for an impressive yet quick dessert, this one is a keeper.
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry shells, baked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons strawberry-rhubarb jam
- pastry creme (see recipe below)
- fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled (the strawberries in my csa box were small in size, so I left them whole. If you have larger berries, slice or quarter them)
- chopped macadamia nuts
- fresh whipped cream (see recipe below)
- fresh mint to garnish
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 c plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup whole milk
In a small saucepan, Heat milk to boiling point and remove from the heat.
In a heatproof mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until smooth. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until pale yellow. Beat in the flour.
Pour the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly. When all the milk has been added, place back in pot you heated milk in. Heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool.
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 pint container of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat in a chilled bowl until thick and creamy. Do not over beat or you will have butter.
Putting the tart together
Heat the jam until it melts. It will not be runny, but it will not be a clump of jam either. pour over your strawberries and coat thoroughly.
Fill your pasty shell with a good tablespoon of pastry cream.
Top with the jam glazed strawberries.
Sprinkle with chopped nuts
Add a dollup of whipped cream and garnish with fresh mint.
That’s it. Simple.
Here is what it looks like on the inside.