I got another really big bag of spinach in my CSA box this week. I thought lasagna roll ups would be a great way to utilize the spinach.
Spinach Roll Ups:
- 6-7 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions.
- 1 26 oz can of spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 15 oz container part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 – 1 c fresh spinach, steamed and chopped (if you don’t have fresh, use frozen. Make sure it is drained well)
- 1/4 c asiago or parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- 1 c shredded mozzarella, plus extra for topping
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- S & P to taste
Brown your sausage and drain. Add spaghetti sauce and chopped basil. Cook until thoroughly heated and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine the ricotta cheese, nutmeg, asiago cheese, mozzarella cheese, spinach and S &P.
Place half of the sauce into a casserole dish and set aside.
Spread cheese mixture over the top of the cooked and cooled lasagna noodles. Roll up carefully and place seam side down in casserole dish.
Cover lasagna rolls with remaining sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Cover and back at 400 for 30 minutes.
You will get something that looks like this.
This is what they look like on the inside…