I had gotten a beautiful head of Yukina in my CSA box and wanted to do something other than a stir fry. It has a delicate taste to it, so I thought it might go nice with pasta. I was right.
This is what I came up with.
I took the yukina and mixed it in with some tomatoes and mushrooms and put it over whole wheat pasta. It was heavenly.
- 1/2 box whole wheat penne pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 smallish can of diced tomatoes, juice and all
- 1 small container of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 grilled chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- dash of red pepper flakes
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1 head of yukina roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- S & P to taste
In a large pan heat sautee shallot and garlic in olive oil until they are clear and soft.
Add mushrooms and more olive oil if need and cook until soft.
Add can of diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, chicken, basil and wine. Let cook down until reduced by half.
Salt and pepper to taste. Add the Yukina at the last minute. Put sauce over pasta and enjoy. That’s it.
This is a wonderful dish that takes virtually no time at all to make. The chicken can be prepared the night before to save time. If you don’t have chicken, you can substitute with any protein you wish.